Alumni in the Spotlight
Matthew Getzoff, B.S.B.A '16
1. What degree did you receive and what are your plans post-graduation?
I received a BSBA in Accounting. I am in the accelerated program for Accounting so I have another semester here to get my Master of Science in Taxation (MST). The UM program for this is unlike any other and it is the reason I came here. I will be taking my CPA exam this summer, then another semester of graduate classes, then I go full time as RSM US LLP accounting firm in Brickell come January.
2. Tell us about activities you led or were a part of while at UM. What are you most proud of about your time at UM/What legacy are you leaving?
I was the President of the Interfraternity Council (IFC) where I oversaw 13 chapters and approximately 1,250 members. I was an Executive Teaching Assistant in the BUS101 Peer Advisory Program as well.
4. What was your favorite moment or experience during your time at UM?
My favorite moment was being inducted into the Iron Arrow Honor Society where I saw all of my hard work and leadership get noticed by my peers.
5. What is the most important thing that UM taught you?
The most important thing UM taught me was that failure builds character. If you see an opening for a club or a position, apply. Worst comes to worst you don’t get the position and you are back in square 1. You will never know unless you try. I got denied for 2 positions before I got accepted onto the IFC.
6. What are you most looking forward to as an alum?
Attending Hurricanes football games and coming back for my firm's recruiting events!
7. What is one piece of advice you’d give your freshman self.
Don’t be afraid to apply to positions. If you see an opening and you feel that you can make a difference, go for it. Someone has to fill that position, so why not me?
8. How do you plan on staying engaged with your alma mater?
The alumni gym discount will be very nice seeing that I am staying in Miami after graduation!
9. Which UM alum do you admire most and why (famous or someone you know personally)?
Drew Rosenhaus is a great example of a UM grad who saw what he wanted to do and did it. He knew all along that he wanted to be a sports agent and he didn’t let anybody stop him. He had passion and a willingness to go the extra mile and he did it.