Class of 1989
Thank you for all who attended your Class Reunion! Special thanks to all of the Class Reunion Committee Members, without your hard work and dedication the reunion party would not have been possible. This group spent time making calls, flipping through yearbooks, talking during conference calls, and sharing ideas to develop a memorable and unforgettable event.
What a memorable weekend we had, and how time flies –the Reunion Parties, Alumni Avenue, and the North Carolina vs. Miami game were just some of the highlights to this amazing weekend. No matter how distant or near your memories of UM are, Alumni Weekend and Homecoming was the perfect opportunity to celebrate our place in UM’s history. We hope you will stay involved with your University of Miami Alumni Association in the future!
We hope you enjoyed your return to campus and sharing a memorable Halloween with us! We hope you will make plans to visit us again next year for Alumni Weekend & Homecoming 2015.
Please take a moment to complete the Alumni Weekend & Homecoming 2014 Survey that pertains to you:
For photos of Class of 1989 25th Reunion please click here.
Special Announcement: On Friday, October 31, 2014, the Class of 1989 25th Reunion and the has changed locations from the Newman Alumni Center to the Eaton Lakeside Lot which is the site of Alumni Avenue. The time for the reunion will be from 6:00 to 8:00 p.m.
Date: Friday, October 31, 2014
Time: 6:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.
Location: Eaton Lakeside Lot - Alumni Avenue
Cost: $55 general admission/ $45 young alumni (Classes 2004-2014), UM employees, UM students and children (12 years and up)/ Free for children under 12
Alumni Avenue Admission is included with purchase of a class reunion ticket
What’s old is new again at this event! Let’s celebrate! So much excitement surrounded your years here. The year 1989 was highlighted with many important events including: the monumental fall of the Berlin Wall, the conception of the World Wide Web, Exxon Valdez Oil Spill, and George Bush, Sr. became President of the United States. It was also an amazing time to be a Miami Hurricane! The football team claimed the 1989 National Championship by defeating the Alabama Crimson Tide in the Sugar Bowl! Do you remember the ’Canes decimating the Seminoles 31-0? The campus had many upgrades in 1989 including: the addition to Richter Library, Mahoney Residential College remodel, groundbreaking for a new physics building, the largest private donation to a comprehensive cancer center, and new school proposals. Remember rocking out to “The Greatest Show on Earth” halftime program? Or Don Resnick – representing Alpha Sigma Phi in the Mr. UM contest – singing a reworked Clash song called “Should I Drink Here or Should I Go”, to protest the Rat’s new alcohol policy. The memories are plentiful. Save the Date and relive the memories that started your lifetime as a 'Cane
A Walk Down Memory Lane...1989
- President is Edward T. Foote II
- Miami defeats Nebraska 23-3 in the Orange Bowl
- Head football coach Jimmy Johnson leaves Miami to take the Dallas Cowboys head coaching job
- Dennis Erickson is hired as Johnson’s replacement and leads the ’Canes to the 1989 National Championship
- UM License Plates featuring Sebastian the Ibis go on sale for the first time
- Whitten Student Union gets approved for a renovation
- George Herbert Walker Bush is President
- The Year of the Snake
- Germany celebrates the fall of the Berlin wall
- 4400 year old mummy is found in the great pyramid at Giza, Egypt
- Dilbert comic strip is syndicated
- Nintendo releases the Game Boy
- MGM studio opens at Disneyworld
- Actress Zsa Zsa Gabor is arrested for stabbing a police officer in Beverly Hills
- Oakland Athletics win the World Series
- San Francisco 49ers win the Super Bowl
- Lethal Weapon II
- Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
- Star Trek V, the Final Frontier
- The Abyss
- Steel Magnolias
- Look Who’s Talking
- Little Mermaid
- Academy Award Best Film: Driving Miss Daisy
Most Popular Music:
- The Best (Tina Turner)
- Like a Prayer (Madonna)
- Eternal Flame (Bangles)
- Love in an Elevator (Aerosmith)
- Quantum Leap
- America’s Funniest Home Videos
Help Find Lost Alumni
Help fellow 'Canes reconnect with you, and your alma mater! If you recognize any of these names, please let your classmate know that they're "lost" and need to be FOUND!
Here are three simple ways to update your information and always stay connected with the happenings at the "U":
- Visit www.Miamialumni.net and click on the links to update your information. You can also use this site to search the alumni directory for classmates you want to reconnect with!
- Call the Office of Alumni Relations at 305-284-2872 or toll free at 1-866-UMALUMS (862-5867) and update your information with a staff representative.
- Attend a local club event and provide them with your updated information! For a list of clubs in or near your area, visit www.miami.edu/alumni/groups/alumniclubs.htm.
Mercedes L. Abaid, BBA '89, MBA '90
Jeffrey W. Harding, AB '89
In Memory List
Reunion years are an important time to remember classmates who touched our lives and helped make UM a great place to be. The following is a list of ‘Canes who are no longer with us, though their spirit lives on in our memories:
Hamid A. AlQawooq, BSAE '89
Gina L. Hale, BBA '89