In 1986, Eaton was the third hall converted to a residential college. It is the oldest residence hall on campus. When Eaton was opened and dedicated in 1954, it was quoted as being an "ultra-ultra dorm" by The Miami Herald. Early in UMís history, Eaton was an all-women hall and remained so until the beginning of the 1970s. This residential college was named after Julian S. Eaton, an alumnus of the Law School and Chairman of the Board of Trustees in 1951.
Eaton is located directly on the eastern side of Lake Osceola, along the Billings Memorial Walkway. This Residential College is located within five minutes walking distance from the University Center and Metro-Rail station and 10-minutes walking distance from the academic buildings. Eaton students are centrally located and can walk to either the Mahoney/Pearson or Hecht/Stanford dining halls.
The Eaton College rooms are set up in a suite arrangement with two double rooms connected by a bathroom. Each floor includes single and double rooms. Which have a data and phone jack for each student. There are also study lounges and laundry rooms on each floor. Approximately 400 students and staff call Eaton home. The Masterís and the Residence Coordinator live on the first floor along with the classrooms, computer lab, vending machine, student mail boxes, the reception desk, and the central Department of Residence Halls.
Eaton Residential College
1211 Dickinson Drive
Coral Gables Campus 33146-5410 284-4505