Each year the United Way Campaign is our opportunity to provide a visible and tangible demonstration of support for our UM mission of providing service that extends throughout the community and beyond. The University of Miami’s 2013 United Way Campaign kicks off today, and I am honored that President Shalala has asked me to lead the effort once again.
This year I’ll be joined by Steven F. Falcone, M.D., M.B.A., chief executive of the University of Miami at Jackson Memorial Hospital and associate vice president for medical affairs, who will head up the Miller School of Medicine’s component of the United Way Campaign. Working together, and with your generous support, we will make our 2013 campaign a success.
UM has supported the United Way for almost 40 years. Last year TeamUM raised more than $1 million for the United Way of Miami-Dade. I have contributed to the United Way in many communities throughout my professional life and know the incredible difference the organization makes in the lives of so many people. Their business model is simple: pair a small staff with thousands of volunteers to raise money that strengthens programs aimed at addressing our community’s greatest needs.
Our campaign goals for this year include:
- Raise more than $1 million in contributions
- Increase overall faculty and staff participation by at least 5 percent
- Increase undesignated giving
- Last year we raised $413,845 in undesignated funds.
- Your undesignated contribution helps the United Way respond quickly to emergencies and provide support to a variety of agencies with the greatest need. Each dollar you contribute to the United Way’s Community Plan is matched by federal and state grant programs, turning your dollar into $2.17.
The University of Miami’s 2013 United Way Campaign runs through November 22. We will update our progress regularly in e-Veritas, UM’s faculty and staff newsletter, and on the TeamUM United Way website. Please take a few minutes to sign up today as early contributors and those who make commitments of 1 percent or more of their salary will be entered into drawings for special prizes during the month of October.
It’s easy to give to United Way through TeamUM. Simply log on to MyUM and click on “United Way Contribution” in the lower left side of the home page under “Charitable Contributions,” then follow the instructions to make your donation. United Way will distribute your donation according to your wishes. You can assign your United Way contribution in one of three ways:
- Unrestricted to United Way—directing it to education, health, or financial stability
- Designating it to a University of Miami fund
- Designating it to your favorite not-for-profit 501(c)(3) organization
Please make your gift today on MyUM as a recurrent payroll deduction from your salary or as a one-time gift through payroll deduction, check, or credit card. Every gift to United Way makes a difference.
If you have any questions concerning online giving, please contact your department's ambassador. For a list of ambassadors on the Coral Gables and RSMAS campuses, click here. For a list of ambassadors on the Miller School of Medicine campus, click here. You may also contact me via email at firstname.lastname@example.org, or contact your campus co-chair.
Thank you for your continued support of the University of Miami and our local community.
Nerissa E. Morris
Vice President, Human Resources
United Way 2013 Campaign Chair
University of Miami