The Students Training in Research Program (STIR) is a seven-week, non- residential, research program for underrepresented students who have displayed interest in laboratory research and academic promise in the sciences.
STIR is open to students who have successfully completed their sophomore year ofhigh school and will be entering the 11th grade upon completion of the summer. The program provides 25 selected participants the opportunity to work side-by-side with University of Miami Miller School of Medicine research scientists during seven weeks in the summer. Participants will be exposed to a practical laboratory research opportunity that is both exciting and educationally challenging. STIR participants will:
- Learn and apply laboratory skills taught within the first week of the program
- Develop skills and abilities to perform scientific research
- Develop and improve their public speaking and presentation skills
- Incorporate ethical issues and the social consequences of laboratory research
- Develop one-on-one relationships with assigned mentors
The STIR program will run from June 18, 2012 and conclude on August 3, 2012. Applications are due April 23, 2012. Please feel free to contact the Office of Diversity and Multicultural Affairs directly with any questions at 305-243-6551.