Academic Fellows (AFs) are undergraduate student staff members who live and work in the residential colleges. AFs are part of the academic support system for students as they face the new challenges of their first year of college. Over the course of an academic year, AFs work an average of 10-12 hours per week. These hours include mentoring students, conducting programs, creating and maintaining bulletin boards, administrative office support, and other duties as assigned. You might make a great AF candidate if you are:
- A high-energy leader who can motivate first-year students to explore academic opportunities
- Academically focused and motivated
- Actively engaged in and knowledgeable about University events and academic resources
- Possess excellent communication, leadership, and teamwork skills
For the 2014-2015 academic year there will be 27 AF positions across Hecht, Stanford, and Eaton Residential Colleges. AFs are supervised by the Academic & Career Advisor in Residence (ACARs) in their area.
Commitment and Responsibilities:
AFs are required to participate fully in all training and development activities which begin during the spring 2014 semester and continue prior to the opening of the residence halls in Fall 2014 and Spring 2015. During your employment, you will be able to do the following, and much, much more:
- Help new students make connections to study groups, academic resources, and academic organizations on-campus by hosting activities each month and inviting all interested community members to attend.
- Attend and participate in Academic Fellow meetings, routine one-on-ones, weekly office hours, programs, and required training sessions throughout the year including the Academic Fellow training program in August, prior to Orientation.
- Promote involvement in the building and campus community.
- Serve as an academic mentor for freshman students in a residential college with special focus on those within your area of study.
Terms of Employment
The term of employment extends for one academic year, beginning on Friday, August 8th, 2014 and ending on Wednesday, May 13th, 2015 (These dates are tentative but will be confirmed at time of hire).
All AFs receive credit for a single room.
(If you have questions regarding your status as a student or international student, contact the Office of Student Employment at (305) 284-6641 or http://www.miami.edu/ose/).
- The Department of Housing and Residential Life will assign each Academic Fellow to a single room in Hecht, Stanford, or Eaton Residential College.
- AFs must be full-time University of Miami undergraduate students enrolled in a degree granting program.
- A 3.00 cumulative GPA is required at the time of application and must be maintained to continue employment. (The Office of Academic Enhancement will review the AF cumulative GPA every semester).
- Reappointment is based upon job performance, evaluation, and continued enrollment in the University.
- Attendance and participation in all staff training sessions and staff meetings is required.
- AFs are expected to be available on Tuesday evenings (after 6:15PM) for weekly staff meetings, and on most other weeknights to facilitate programming.
- Additional hours may be required at certain times of the year. Student schedules will be taken into consideration when dividing responsibilities at these times.
2014 Selection Timeline
*All applicants must attend one mandatory information session.
December 2, 2013 - Academic Fellow Applications Available Online
January 15, 2014, 8:00p.m., MPRC Classroom - Mandatory Information Session*
January 16, 2014, 5:00p.m., HRC Classroom - Mandatory Information Session*
January 21, 2014, 8:00p.m., SRC Classroom - Mandatory Information Session*
January 24, 2014 – Academic Fellow Applications Due Online By Midnight
January 31, 2014 –Recommendation Forms Due Online By Midnight
February 3-14, 2014 – AF Individual Interviews
February 21, 2014 – Final Decisions Distributed Via E-mail