There are three types of water:
- Desalinated water- Drinking and cooking water is desalinated from the sea and purchased from a local resort. Please do not waste this water.
- Brackish water- The tap water is pumped from one of two cisterns, containing either rain or well water. Please do not leave water running while brushing teeth or washing. Well water can be salty.
- Saltwater- Toilet water is pumped directly from the sea. Toilets can be flushed as many times as needed; however, please do not flush anything other than toilet tissue.
There are three types of garbage.
- Burnable- any trash that can burn in the burn barrel, including most plastics and all paper and food scraps, can be thrown in any of the wastebaskets in the rooms or kitchen.
- Non-Burnable- all trash that will not burn; such as metal, heavy plastics, glass, etc. should be put in the receptacle under the drinking water dispenser.
- Compost- any vegetable and fruit peelings (excluding orange peels and corn cobs), eggshells, and coffee grounds should be put in covered bucket next to burnable trash in kitchen. Nothing else is composted. Be sure not to throw anything with oil or grease on it in the compost.
- Showers are to be used no more than once a day, once the work day is completed. The time in the showers should be limited to about five minutes. With only two bathrooms people are usually waiting.
- Use the button on the showerhead to turn water off while you soap up or shampoo. Do not keep water running.
- Remove all personal effects after the shower and replace drain cover when finished showering.
- Turn handles very gently.
- Do not take more food than you can eat.
- Try to eat enough at mealtime so snacking is not necessary. Food is expensive, limited, and intended for meal preparation, not snacking.
- However, fruits can be eaten at anytime but is limited to 1 piece per day.
- Do not waste food.
- Rooms are provided with linens, shelves, a closet, and a sink. Please keep your quarters as neat and clean as possible.
- Wet articles should not be kept in rooms. A clothesline is provided in back of lab.
- Please be respectful of your roommate, their privacy, and their belongings.
- Do not remove items from the station to supply your personal space.
- No alcohol or drugs are allowed on the lab premises at anytime. Anyone caught with these items will be expelled immediately.
- Be respectful and friendly to our host, the people of Bimini.
- We have morning meetings at 8:00 am. Come out when you hear the knock.
- Please be conservation oriented. (water, electricity, paper towels, food, etc.)
- Familiarize yourself with the lab. Look in cabinets and drawers to learn where everything belongs.
- Report any weird smells or noises.
- Do not open windows and keep doors shut.
- When people are in the field, everyone stays at the lab. If you must leave, notify a staff member where you are going and when you will be back.
- Always return tools to their proper place after use. Wash tools with desal, dry, and spray with CRC before returning them to their place.
- If you use the last of any item- food, motor oil, spray, paint, etc.- tell staff.
- The lab is quiet by 11pm to allow others to sleep.
- Clean up after yourself!!
- Be on time…You Snooze, You Lose!
- Teamwork makes the lab and everything run efficiently.
- Fire axes, smoke alarms, and extinguishers are in every room in house - Do not ignore alarms.
- No smoking in lab, on boats, on dock, or around fuel.
- Notify a staff member if anything breaks.
- Be aware of sexual harassment rules.