There are three types of water:
- Desalinated water- Drinking and cooking water is desalinated purchased from the local resort. Please do not waste this water!
- Brackish water- The tap water is pumped from one of two cisterns, containing either rain or well water. Please do not leave water running while brushing teeth or washing. It can be salty during the dry season
- Saltwater- Toilet water is pumped directly from the sea. Toilets can be flushed as many times as needed. Please do not flush anything other than toilet tissue.
There are three types of garbage.
- Burnable- Trash that can be burned in the burn barrel, including most light plastics and all paper and food scraps, can be thrown in any of the waste bins with white garbage bags. These bins are located in the kitchen and lab.
- Non-Burnable- Trash that will not burn, such as metal, heavy plastics, glass, etc. should be put in the waste bins with black garbage baga. These bins located in the dining room and lab.
- Compost- Vegetable and fruit peelings (excluding orange peels and corn cobs), eggshells, and coffee grounds should be put in the small bucket next to burnable trash in the kitchen. Nothing else is composted. Be sure not to throw anything with oil or grease or anything cooked in the compost.
- Showers are to be used no more than once a day, once the work day is completed. The time in the showers should be limited to about five minutes. With only two bathrooms people are usually waiting.
- Use the button on the showerhead to turn water off while you soap or shampoo. Do not keep water running!
- Remove all personal effects after the shower and replace drain cover when finished showering.
- Turn handles very gently
- Do not take more food than you can eat.
- Try to eat enough at mealtime so snacking is not necessary. Food is expensive, limited, and intended for meal preparation, not snacking.
- However, fruit can be eaten at anytime, limited to one piece per day.
- Do not waste food
- Rooms are provided with linens, shelves, a closet, and a sink. Please keep your quarters as neat and clean as possible.
- Wet articles should not be kept in rooms. A clothesline is provided in back of lab.
- Please be respectful of your roommate, their privacy, and their belongings.
- Do not remove items from the station to supply your personal space.
- Alcohol is not allowed on the lab premises at anytime. Drugs are illegal in the Bahamas and are not permitted at anytime during your stay. Anyone caught with these items will be expelled immediately.
- We have morning meetings at 8:00 am. Come out when you hear the knock.
- Please be conservation oriented (water, electricity, paper towels, food, etc.)
- Familiarize yourself with the lab. Look in cabinets and drawers to learn where everything belongs.
- Report any weird smells or noises.
- When people are in the field, everyone stays at the lab. If you must leave, notify a staff member where you are going and when you will be back.
- Keep all doors and windows shut when the air conditioner is on.
- Always return tools to their proper place after use. Wash tools with desal, dry, and spray with CRC before returning them to their place.
- If you use the last of any item- food, motor oil, spray, paint, etc, tell a staff member.
- Bug repellent is only to be sprayed outside.
- Wash your feet in the footbath before entering the lab and leave shoes outside.
- Be respectful of those who have been out working all night and need to sleep.
- The lab is quiet by 11pm to allow others to sleep.
- Do not use paper towels for anything that a rag can do. It is wasteful!
- Stay out of the kitchen if you are not cooking, doing dishes, or on duty.
- Keep ice bucket closed!!! Take only 3 ice cubes.
- Clean up after yourself!!
- Use clothesline out back to dry your clothes/towels, not the porch.
- Be on time…You Snooze, You Lose!
- Do not come to the table for meals or meetings without a shirt
- Teamwork makes the lab and everything run efficiently.
- Fire axes, smoke alarms, and extinguishers are in every room in house. Do not ignore alarms.
- If you borrow the lab bicycles, use a lock when leaving them unattended anywhere on the island and put them back after use.
- Do use the internet during the regular work day unless it is important.
- Never light candles in the house.
- Use emergency light in your room for loss of power only, not as a reading light.
- Use pillowcase OVER "pillow case protector."
- No smoking in lab, on boats, on dock, or around fuel
- Notify a staff member if anything breaks.
- Don't slam doors.
- Be aware of sexual harassment rules.
- Be respectful and friendly to our host, the people of Bimini. However, intimate fraternization with Biminites is frowned upon.
- Do not sit on freezers, the seals are bad.